Ron Halls Avanti

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ron Halls Avanti
From: "The Butters Family" <bbutters@coldreams.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:50:57 -0800
    A couple of weeks ago we talked about Rons Avanti. This year at Speedweek
there will be an Avanti with Rons number on it #1963. This is not Rons car but
is running in memory of Ron. The car will be powered by a 299 cu in.
Studebaker V8 pumped up with 20# of boost via a Novi Blower and have EFI by
Eccel.  On the Dyno it made 650hp and 600ft# of Torque.The engine was built by
200mph club member Jim Lang who ran a twin turbo studebaker powered Avanti a
few years ago setting a record at 211.  These guys just keep coming back. A
little Avanti history, many of you are familiar with Bill Burke"s Avanti. It
first ran with a Paxton super charged 224 cu in Stude in I think 1964 setting
a record. The car has been powered by Chry. Hemis and chev. motors almost
continuously since then. Running to nearly 240mph.  In 1963 Andy Gannitelli
brought out a twin Paxton supercharged 304 cu in Avanti called Dual Centro and
ran 198mph with it.  Ron Halls goal was to better that effort, and after years
of trying did set the D/PS record couple of mph faster.  Kvach