Re: nitro.... and ARDUNs

To: Wmtsmith@landracing.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: nitro.... and ARDUNs
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 12:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
William, Zora Arkus-Duntov's would be a bio worth reading, but there is
a misconception there somewhere.  Zora was kind enough to allow me to
interview him a few months before he passed away.   One of the topics we
specifically touched on was whether Chrysler had any license or
consultancy from him on their '51 Hemi design, and he said flatly, no,
the first he even knew of it was one day in '53 or so when he was at GM,
he saw a poster of the new Firepower V-8, cross-section of the engine,
and saw the glaring similarity with his '47 Ardun hemi head and rocker
arms.  He said, "Standing there, I felt a great sense of pride that this
giant corporation had apparently copied my design and was making tens of
thousands of successful engines from it.  Engineers have always copied
each other's designs." Cheers Bill