Re: Effect of Flywheel Weight for Bikes and Cars

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Effect of Flywheel Weight for Bikes and Cars
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
Many years ago I raced corvair-powered Porsche in
European hill climbs.  Before that I had a 283
Chev with a light aluminum flywheel and always
loved the way it would grab the revs.  I lusted
for that throttle response from the Corvair motor
(it was already a really great running little hot
rod) so I had the flywheel machined way down and
took off a whole bunch of punds.  When I started
it up for the first time it felt just like that
little 283 had, but, when I took it to the races
a few weeks later, I was very disappointed. Every
time I got on a rough part of the track, or a
part that had dirt on it, the car would start to
act like the hydroplanes I had raced as a
teenager.  Revs were very dependent on traction
and the motor would go crazy like an outboard
when the prop comes out of the water.  It was a
lot slower and was a bear to drive.  Based on
that, it would seem to me that the steady,
steam-roller effect of the heavy flywheel would
be better for LSR.

Dick J

=====
Dick J