effect of flywheel weight on flatheads

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: effect of flywheel weight on flatheads
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:36:36 -0500
Bill and Dave

It is interesting how this thread got from bike flywheels to stock flathead
rods.  Folklore always held, for whatever reason, that the majority of stock
flathead rod breakage was from deceleration from high RPM. Most of this
folklore was from dirt tracks.

Anyway when I'm sitting behind a vintage engine at the finish line I
disengage the clutch and shut it off as quick as I can.  Rod failure has a
fatigue factor involved so I don't run them any longer than I have to.  The
only rod failures I've  had so far came from my assembly mistakes or
collapsed cylinder walls.

Dave the Hayseed