Flatty block measurements aw, -din't come out gud...WE'LL

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Flatty block measurements aw, -din't come out gud...WE'LL
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:41:36 -0000
DIN'T COME OUT SO GUD THE FOIST TIME......WE'LL TRY IT AGIN, OK?

Hi all!

        Say, I got this lil' pra'ject.  I decided in order to try and save my
sanity whilst I run all over the countryside looking for a life sustaining
job in the employment vacuum known as the "NY southern tier", I ought to
start brushing up on my AutoCad drafting skills-before I forget'em!

        So in the past few days I've started to draw up my dream fantasy; (use
imagination here ) a theoretical combination circa 1950 track racin',line
chasin' '28 A-bone roadster Pickup.   I'm using  AutoCad 2000 and have
decided it would be good general practice to eventually draw it complete
with most all the components and body;accurately.  One of the nice things
about CAD drafting is that its parts can be displayed on different "levels"
so that they can be turned off and on at will. Great for planning and
measuring accurately. Same goes for printing copies of it of course; with or
without the various components to enable "seeing" it in various stages of
"dress" and "undress" -and of course very helpful too in deciding those
inevitable changes....

       I'm startin' with a theoretical 100" wheelbase just 'cause its a nice
round number.  We'll see what happens.  Gonna use 7.50-16 31" tall rear
"tars" and 6.00-15 27" tall fronts....  Once I get a side view done, I'll do
a top, frontal & rear all in proportion. It will prove a good way to prove
or dis-prove proportions and the way everthin fits together...  It can save
a lot of unnecessary cutting, bending, AND... mistakes!    Right Joe T ?

        So far, I've got the wheels, most of the centerlines, a Halibrand
quickie,
and some other basic stuff done, an' have done got to the point now boys
where I can use a little information,!

I don't have a Flathead Block!  -and in giving some information to me,
you'll pass it along to the many others on this list as well I'm guessin'

So Hep' out will'ya?

        What we're needin' is just some basic measurements; so things can be
represented onscreen accurately.  Without this accuracy, you really cannot
make accurate plans or parts.   Nez Pa?

        I think the easiest way is to jump right into it. If you know, or can
measure accurately, please answer the following questions on the same line
right after the question mark OK ?  OK    -that way it will be real clear to
all who view this postand can reference it for themselves if they like.
a'Course all you "latemodel" ArDun boys can chirp right in as well!    he
he  he

Here goes;

-Block height; intake gasket surface, to oil pan gasket surface

59AB ?

8ba ?

-Oil pan height; pan rail to the bottom, at the deepest point

59AB ?

8ba ?

-Block Length; waterpump gasket surface, to bellhousing mating surface

59AB ?

8ba ?

-Waterpump height (gasket surface to the forward most tip of pump shaft )

59AB ?

8ba ?

-this one is kinda tricky, but how much room is needed, say between that
front of the block at that waterpump gasket surface to the back of a
radiator in order to have enough clearance for the pumps and a regular Ford
fan ?  I imagine the distance would be the same with either block  but you
tell me:

59AB ?

8ba ?

and finally,

-the Bellhousing height (the distance from the rear block face to the
front face on a transmission. I think its about 6 = but could be wrong.
Again, you tell me!)

59AB ?

8ba ?

we'll let ya'all know how she turns out.
Mebbe even figger out how to e-mail it to all of ya somehow.

Kinda strange is'nt, planning 1950's technology on a 2000 drafting program !
                     -Hey, that's why they call us HOT RODDERS.

     Thanks,  -and Cheers,   -"Dirty Doug" stuck inna much in Nu Yuck