Maxton Weekend

To: "Land Speed list - 2" <land-speed@landracing.com>,
Subject: Maxton Weekend
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:37:58 -0400
Just some short information about the weekend. Great weather, sunny and warm
on Saturday with some head winds. Sunday was  little cooler but it got
better as the day went on. Had a good turn out (51 entries) some guys forget
it takes four bikes to make a car so they think its a small turn out. We had
over 425 runs for the weekend and actually more on Sunday than Saturday.
That's a first. And when you do the math it's over eight runs per entry. Top
speed of the meet was bike #24 with a speed of 201.342 MPH. These car guys
need to step up to the plate and build some more 200 MPH rides.

I got a change to drive the Lumberton High School car on Sunday. First time
I've been racing on the Maxton course in about a year. It's Goodies Dash car
(Sunbird) (miniature Winston Cup car) Chevy V-6, 2bbl carb, 4-speed, Ford
9", etc. Very well built. It just missed qualifying at Daytona this year by
only one MPH. Anyway from a speed perspective the course is in the best
shape its ever been in (no small effort by the volunteers, thanks) and the
new paving in the shut down is fantastic. The car wiggled a little on me at
the 3/4 and again when I got on the brakes to hard in shut down, but was
easy to correct. I felt really comfortable with the course and the car. Wow,
it felt good to be back in the drivers seat. BTW I did manage a 148.270 MPH
run. Not as good as Ron Millers 151 MPH record pass last month, but
considering the wind and temperature not a bad run. Thanks guys for the
ride.

John Beckett
#79, Worlds Fastest Chevette