On washers, pilot bushings and throw out bearings

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, Jim Dincau <jdincau@qnet.com>,
Subject: On washers, pilot bushings and throw out bearings
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:26:34 -0700 (PDT)
Amazing what a little washer can do, huh?

Your story brings to mind a fond memory though,
Keith.  When I was very, very young, I had a
chance to swap the automatic out of my '59
Plymouth for a four speed.  What red-blooded,
American boy wouldn't do that!  After about ten
miles or so, it blew all over the place.  Broken
hearted, dejected, and totally disgusted, I towed
the car to my dad's favorite repair shop and
asked them to fix it for me.  That evening, at
dinner, the phone rang.  My dad answered, and
kept looking at me with a strange look on his
face while he listened, nodded, and aknowledged
unheard conversation.  When he got off the phone
and sat back down, he simply said: "Red wanted to
know what stupid SOB put your car together
without a pilot bushing."

The next day I went to the school library and
looked up "Pilot Bushing" in the Motors Repair
Manual - - uhh--huhhh.

Oh, BTW, it was the same stupid SOB who had
replaced the clutch in his '49 Chevvy the summer
before and put it back together without a
throwout bearing!

Live and Learn (still)
Dick J
http://auctions.yahoo.com/