El Mirage

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:40:06 -0700
The first meet of the season on the dry lake under ideal weather conditions
was started with TurboRick first off with a 177mph pass. About 25mph off his
norm. Heard later he hurt it. A few minutes later Fred Dannenfelzer came off
the trailer at 301.996 mph in his lakester. Jim Bickford on the
Bickford-Ranger motorcycle ran a real nice 202.039 mph. K.C. Leggitt driving
the Leggitt Engines entry upped his best ever to 291.039 mph. There were two
spins in the shut off area and one at mid course.
Some of the other racers have already dropped a few notes on the event.
Katie Cortez driving Dads Chevy coupe ran 142.530 mph. Looks like the power
is there but the course was soft and went away early in the event. Several
new rookies both in two and four wheels were getting some seat time and
upgrading their license. . I want to thank my son in law and daughter for
coming down from Oregon to help me in the tower. I still have to be careful
not to over use my voice as I am still recovering and doing well. Chris and
Ed Shearer were in from Utah for the event. Always good to have them on
board.That's about it for now
Glen