RE: more on Smokey Yunick ........

To: "'Doug Anderson'" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>, kturk@ala.net
Subject: RE: more on Smokey Yunick ........
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:02:22 -0700
Or the time NASCAR confiscated his fuel tank for some reason and he drove
the car back to the garage!  LOL

Dale C.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YOU WERE A LUCKY FELLOW KEITH,

MEETING HIM WAS ONE OF MY UNFULFILLED LIFELONG DREAMS.

TRULY IT IS A SAD DAY........

Personally I considered Smokey to be what I'd call the #1 Workingman's
thinking mechanic there ever was......   PRACTICAL seemed to be his middle
name.  I've loved some of the stories of lore I've read in the past about
Smokey.  None of which I can put my hands on at the moment,  ....but my
favorite was the one about the fuel line in the Black and Gold '66 396
NASCAR Chevelle that Curtis Turner drove for him ( boy theres another
story; -for another time....)

(yes, the Chevelle they all swore up and down was "7/8 scale"...)

Anyway it seems NASCAR stated that fuel tanks could only be "so big"  but
they neglected to address the size of the allowable fuel lines -so Smokey
did.   I heard tell it held 6 gallons and was about 4" in diameter!  Gawd
what a legend! Smokey was the master of using smoke and mirrors to go fast.

( maybe that's where his nickname Smokey came from....do ya suppose ?
....naw,  could it ?)

GOD must be needin' an awful good mechanic to fix something upthere this
week.......  -thats all I can say.

  R.I.P. Smokey, GOD Bless you. -DOUG ANDERSON, up in "south NuYawk"

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..