FOUNDING OF UNITED STATES AIR FORCE

To: ddahlgren@snet.net
Subject: FOUNDING OF UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:27:35 EDT
       Dave, the Army Air Corps, and the Air Service branch of the Army
Signal Corps, officially changed to the US Airforce in 1947, and thus
became completely independent of the Army and the Navy .  Its' first
Chief of Staff was General Carl " Tooey " Spaatz, and the Air Force
Academy was founded in 1954, in Colorado Springs, Colorado .  I
seem to recall sometime around then they also came up with a new
official song to replace the " Off we go, into the Wild Blue Yonder ...."
version most of us grew up with  ...... I don' t know if that new song
ever became the official one .......
         The History of Aviation, from the Wright brothers to the moon
landings, is chronicled all this week on the tube( The History Channel )
in a series entitled " Fly Past ".  Orville Wright did live long enough
to see jet planes fly in 1947 ....... imagine his thoughts !
         Nearby neighbor Bruce