Paul II the Party

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paul II the Party
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:17:04 -0500
I don't think Paul was Irish.... but we had us a wake yesterday anyway...
His wife Jennifer and son Eric wanted us to Take the Jag out and Give
Rides.... so Oz Cheek and I took about 5 folks out and putted them around
the neighborhood.... with the Air on.... power windows were up and the
Single Turbo Motor ran like a top....

We all came back and sat in his garage and hung out.... Started telling
lies... .... I don't care who's shop or what the reason.... the rules of
lieing don't change.... the first guy never has a chance...   my favorite
was Paul going to the drag strip and the starter bitching about fluid coming
outta the car.... Paul rolled down the window Hit the guy with a Blast of
COLD air on a 95 degree day.... said.... nahhh don't worry bout it.... it's
just my A/C condenser!!! then proceeded to run in the LOW 10's...

Eric is 22 and attending business school at ole Miss.... I thought I would
post his eulogy to his father in the Post script....  Folks... we are hot
rodders in life and in death....    I remind myself daily just how Grand our
lives really are....

Keith

Eric's Eulogy to his father

My Father

Those who knew my father either loved him or hated him. To him that did not
matter.  The was going to tell you what he thought regaurdless if you wanted
to hear it or not.   You might say he was to Honest.  if there is such a
thing.  Those who could get past that were treated to the Paul E. Chism jr.
I knew and loved... a unique and great man.  He was alsways putting others
before himself.  He was always willing to help if you had a problem. He
always had a solution or piece of valuable advice.  He always had a story
for everyone you told.  He always said he had lived 12 lifetimes... and
those who knew him would agree.

He was not always the greatest father. But he knew that.  He was my best
freind.  Instead of Playing catch ... we'd go do Burnouts.  Instead of
punishing me he would tell me how NOT to get caught the next time.  After
all, he had been there and done that.  He always said he was a 17 yr old
trapped in a 49 year olds body.  and those that know him would agree.

I used to get mad because he wasn't like other dads.  The truth is I had the
best dad of all.  He was my mentor.  My Hero.  I want to be just like him
when I grow up.  But now I don't have a mentor or a Hero anymore..just the
memory of how he would want me to be.  I hope I don't disappoint him.  I
hope I get to see him again one day just to give him a hug and tell him I
love him... if not.... I love you homme.... and I hope you are finally at
peace....

Eric Chism