The Mechanic and the Surgeon

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: The Mechanic and the Surgeon
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:04:08 -0400
A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley, when he
spotted a world-famous heart surgeon in his shop. The heart surgeon was
waiting for the service manager to come take a look at his bike.

The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey, Doc, can I ask you a
question?" The famous surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So, Doc,
look at this engine. I also can open hearts, take valves out, fix 'em, put
in new parts and when I finish, this will work just like a new one. So how
come I get a pittance and you get the really big money, when you and I are
doing basically the same work?"

The surgeon paused, smiled, and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic,
"Try doing it with the engine running!"