New GM I-6

To: land-speed-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: New GM I-6
From: John Goodman <ggl205@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:23:24 -0500
"This new GM engine has 256 cubic inches, and gives 275 ft. lbs. of
torque at 3600 rpm on 87 pump gas.  A fine figure that reflects modern
four-valve design."

Ardun Bill:

If memory serves me, this new generation GM inline six also comes in
inline five cylinder configuration. I don't remember the displacement
but the engine block and head appeared identical to the six.

This new aluminum block is extremely robust. Cylinder distortion aside,
the aluminum reinforcement available to the thin wall cast liner is much
more substantial than that found in other production engines. As you
have correctly stated, this engine was designed, from the beginning, to
be a heavy duty unit. It is hoped that it will replace many current V8
applications. From what I see, it will. These new I-6 and I-5 engines
should prove interesting for racing purposes.

John