Re: 6 cylinder

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: 6 cylinder
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
All early CJ jeeps were flathead fours based on
the Ford tractor engine.  Right after the war
they developed an F head for it.  The sixes were
in fact Kaiser desinged motors, but I think the
overhead was late AMC product used in the 5/4 ton
(1.25 ton) M-715 weapons carrier (as well as the
civiian pickup and Wagoneers).  I used to restore
military vehiclew for collectors in the late 70s,
and did quite a few of the M-715s. I had one of
those M-715s for hunting and there was even a
national owners club for the beasts.  The motor
was the weakest part of an otherwise escellent
design.  I ran a 302 Ford in mine which solved my
motor problems right off.  If I remember right,
that Kaiser/AMC design motor was the epitomy of
the early iron block/aluminum head expansion rate
problems. And to help that problem along, they
ran right on the ragged edge of overheating the
entire time the military used them, and they went
through a lot of head replacements.  Some old
motorpool jock may be able to shed a lot more
light on this.

Dick J

PS, one good point, they do bolt right up to a
Ford top loader without modification.

--- "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>