warpped exhaust valves and a laugh

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: warpped exhaust valves and a laugh
From: "Bill & Dee Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:56:57 -0400
The discussion about warped exhaust valves brought back a memory I thought
someone might get a laugh out of. Years ago (many) I use to race go karts.
We used an expanding type bilge plug in the exhaust pipe to keep the cold
air from hitting the valve. Where we raced they used a non running standing
start. At the last moment I was asked to be starter for friend of mine. In
the heat of the moment I had forgotten to remove the plug from the pipe. The
green flag dropped and one pull on the starter was all it took to launch the
plug right square between my eyes. Laying me out cold as the karts roared
off. When I came to there was more people watching me than the race. All was
well after sitting on the side lines for the rest of the day. Darn thing
about it though we never found the plug. Guess it goes to prove I am hard
headed like my wife says.

Bill