Re: Fw: Flatheads

To: Rose & Terry Hunt <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Flatheads
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
All pre-49 Ford and Mercs fit the earlier
flatheads.  Truck transmissions have a floor
shifter and open drive shaft.  There was also a
heavy duty truck transmission made which is about
like the granny low 4 speed truck tranny, but
only has 3 speeds.  I think only the later
flathead transmissions fit the flathead motors.
Possible that '54-57 or 59 with 236, 272, 292,
and 312 motors also fit. I think some variants of
Ford toploaders work too, but they were like
early mustang or jeep or something wierd.  There
are plenty of adaptors made to hook them up to
good transmissions though.  I had mine hooked to
a chevy 4 speed using an Offy adaptor from
Speedway.  Dirty Doug Anderson in New Yawk just
researched all of this and might be able to shed
more light on the subject.

Dick J

--- Rose & Terry Hunt <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>