Re: latest project ....... the intake manifold

To: nafzger@vtc.net
Subject: Re: latest project ....... the intake manifold
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:50:43 EDT
     Hi Howard, Darrell ( my youngest son ) is the man behind the helmet
there, and he was probably at Dave Zappertini' s welding and fabrication
shop in San Rafael ( Dave's grandfather founded the business in the 20s )
       Dave owns the A Fuel digger, and Darrell told me recently he might
start driving it this year , although he really wants to get his own nostalgia
front engine Top Fuel car soon .  Darrell and I both do not have TIG welders
at our shops, which is why Douglas ( my oldest boy ) did all the Tig welding
of the many parts & pieces we fabricated for Black Radon here in Connecticut,
about 2900 miles from the car !!!   Doug & I cut and fit the headers in
California, he tacked them with MIG, and we sent them back here where
Doug did all the finish welding with Heliarc ...... then BACK  OUT to
the Bay Area, where Darrell had them coated, and they really look
great ...... I will forward a pic of them to you ( can' t recall IF I did
already ..... that SENIOR memory thing ! )and ,also, a copy of the
email that I sent to the list after I got home from Speedweek last
August .......
      Darrell has a connection with Lincoln, so his forthcoming Tig
machine will almost certainly be one of theirs ...... Doug has
Linde & Miller machines, and my stick welder ( don' t use it a
whole lot nowadays ) is a Westinghouse AC machine I bought when
I was dragging in the early 60s ..... my MIG is a small Lincoln, great
for body work and light jobs . Our altered got a four page spread
with 12 pics in the new issue of Gearhead Magazine, which is sort
of an offbeat / music / racecar youth mag ...... but the same issue
has a nice article on World of Speed 2000, and mentions Wes and
Keith and his Girly Camaro, among others . It has a maroon chopped
Merc on the cover, and it isn't found on all the newstands, for sure !
      The Tower Records chain carries it, though ...... so several of my
friends on both coasts have informed me .....
       Thanks for your reply ..... and please be advised that watching
the video of you running your liner on the Salt, and announcing the
speed as it climbed way up there, was a strong factor in charging all
three of us up to go ahead with the plan to convert the old family
heirloom into a saltracer !    It helped to fan the Flame !
      We watched that segment over and over ...... until even my wife
asked us if that was all of the tape we were going to watch !
      Enjoy your shop time ...... two months to go !
                  Bruce
        perfect weather here ......
                     just too much blasted pollen !