Re: Goodyear tires / Slippage on the Salt

To: <FastmetalBDF@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Goodyear tires / Slippage on the Salt
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:34:41 -0500
It's all important and works in relationship to the Torque/HP combination
you have..... that Fuel motor even with a light load of Nitro makes a ton of
torque which has a tendency to spin the tires....

Downforce in our car is a function of both the aero package as well as the
Lead we stick in for Bonneville....  Some folks want the car lighter to
accelerate as fast as possible and some folks want the car heavier.... ours
is kinda a balance between the two.  Maxton of course requires less weight
then the Salt ( no Ballast).... even Muroc required a bit more Ballast then
I had. ( 100 lb's equaled 10mph in my case )

The real key here is Hp and Torque in relationship to your speed..... some
folks have the luxury of having to much of both....( this was the Case with
Darrel ) and that allows them to go as fast as the limits of Traction allow.
In thier case I would run the Maximum Spoiler I could get on the car first
and then add ballast to get the amount of downforce required.   Think about
it this way.... the Spoiler isn't effective in the lower speed ranges and
isn't limiting the acceleration.... but it's also not aiding in hooking up
early... so there is a downside to not adding ballast as well....

The suspension's ability to put this Hp to the Ground is also an issue.... I
keep thinking hooking up a dirt track car on a straight away is the similiar
to hooking up a Bonneville car.... Maybe there is something to be gained by
looking at the small tire classes in Drag racing as well....  Any suspension
that works in a limited traction situation oughta be interesting to try on
the salt.....