Re: Fire Suit

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fire Suit
From: "JOHN BACKUS" <34ford@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:50:00 -0400
 Dick, we just returned from Indy this evening. I got the PURPLE firesuit from
Simpson. It was ordered by someone exactly my size as a 2 pc. and came in as a
1 pc. It retailed for $1150 and I got it for $795. Fire suits come as a base
unit, you then add options, this one based at $950.00. A sfi 20 has a base of
$995.00. No I didn't go for the sfi 20 because of the cost. The 15 will take
me to 175 with a blown engine or faster unblown. Simpson now makes sfi 20
gloves. The shoes/boots are not rated but I suppose the "top fuel" boots are
required in blown classes. Let's see; suit $995., gloves $100., boots $150.
neck collar $ 30. nomex underwear $120., snell 2000 nomex lined helmet $500.,
ride in a 200 mph car priceless, ! Simpson sez they always have a half price
helmet sale at the U.S. Nationals, last year they were black Bandit style
helmets. Hope this helps Dick. We had a great time at Indy, we saw some great
FE top fuel racing by some of the "old guys" from the 60's like Bob Muravez
(freight train) and the Rat Trap fuel altered. Our roadster was awarded the
"Preachers Pick" a real surprize for an unfinished car that was not entered in
the competition.

John (sunburned from 200+ miles in a roadster) Backus