Re: A great Sunday with SOME RACING TALK too...

To: webmaster@landracing.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A great Sunday with SOME RACING TALK too...
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:55:09 -0000
From: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: A great Sunday
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:38:53 -0600

List,

I must share with you folks.
Sunday was one of the most relaxing days in a very very long time for
me.
A guy that works for me had put together a motorcycle ride firework run
which he started last year with some family members taking a day on
their bikes to just cruise up to Cheyenne Wy from Denver. This year he
again set this up so I said hell ill go, thinking Ill probably have the
only sport bike there. We had 14 out of 15 show up for the Sunday ride
with took us about 300 miles total. Funny enough the guy that didnt show
up was the one who picked the time and location. (must have partied
pretty hard since Saturday the Avalanch won the Stanley Cup.). To my
amazement we had a very wide variety of bikes. Honda Hurricane, Honda
F3, BMW, Harleys, Kawasaki Vulcans, TDM 850, and the most notiable was a
Norton 750 Commando (and yes single cylinder). That bike was totally
great. Weird how the brake and shifter were on opposite sides. (1 up,
and 3 down shifting pattern). He has two fuel tanks for the bike, it was
fitting with the larger for the trip.
Nothing like a long ride, no stress, go at whatever pace you want, enjoy
the outdoor, the fresh air, the scenry, it was truley a great relaxing
day.

Just thought I would share, sorry if there is no techinical stuff, or
racing stuff in this email (but o yes there was, I did race the Honda
600 F3 with my Hurricane we reached around the 135 indicated mark, i
redlined 5th gear, shifted and backed out, after that I attained I nice
little clatter on acceleration now, the old 1987 Hurricane turned 43,000
miles on the odometer) now this should be a well rounded email.

Jon

HEY JON

I CAN RELATE.  IN AUGUST 1982 MY BEST BUDDY AND I RODE OUR HARLEY
SHOVELHEADS ALL THE WAY TO STURGIS S.D. FROM KALISPELL, MT. AND BACK.  SEEMS
TO ME, IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE 750 EACH WAY,,, IT US TOOK TWO FULL DAYS EACH
WAY TO RIDE THROUGH SOME OF THE FINEST SCENERY ANYWHERE. IT WAS A TOUGH JOB
BUT SOMEBODY HAD TO DO IT, SO WE VOLUNTEERED.

IT WAS T SHIRT WEATHER ALL THE WAY, BOTH WAYS.  WE SLEPT IN OUR SLEEPING
BAGS ALONGSIDE THE MADISON,JEFFERSON, AND THE GALLATIN RIVERS WHERE THEY
MEET TO MAKE THE MISSOURI RIVER AT A PLACE CALLED THREE FORKS IN SOUTH
CENTRAL MONTANA...

GUESS WE OUGHT TO MENTION RACIN' TO MAKE SURE THIS AN OKDOKeee POST SO I
WILL;  WE WENT EVERY NIGHT TO THE RACES WHILE IN STURGIS  (-UNLIKE THE MANY
WHO ATTEND ONLY FOR THE BABES AND THE BEER -not that thats all bad..... :=)
)

THE RACES, FOR THOSE WHO ARN'T AWARE, ARE FLATTRACK AND A REAL DELIGHT TO
SEE AS THE COMPETITORS COME FROM EVERYWHERE AND ARE VERY GOOD. ONE NIGHT WE
SAT IN THE STANDS WITH WILLY DAVIDSON.  HE WAS SMOKED.....I BOUGHT HIM
ANOTHER BEER.  WE HAD A BALL.  ANOTHER DAY WE WATCHED AS A GUY IN A
PETERBUILT JUMPED 9 CARS AND A HONDA MOTORSICKLE AT THE LOCAL FAIRGROUNDS.
HE MADE IT.  THE CROWD WAS OUTRAGED 'CAUSE HE MISSED THE HONDA SO HE DROVE
OVER IT. EVERYBODY WAS HAPPY THEN.

THAT ENTIRE TRIP WILL BE FOREVER BE FOUND IN THE HAPPY SIDE OF MY BRAIN.
MY BEST FRIEND IS GONE NOW TO THE OTHER SIDE, BUT HE'LL ALWAYS BE THERE IN
MY MEMORY.

STURGIS IS A LOT MORE THAN EVERYBODY PERCIEVES IT TO BE; -THERES MUCH,MUCH
MORE SO IF YOU'VE EVER THOUGH OF GOING, I'D SAY TRY IT.
THE RACES ARE FUN, AND THE BIKERS AIN'T ALL BAD.

                                   YA GOT ME DIN'TCHA......?

-"Doug down South" missin' my beloved Montana like you can't believe