Arduns and Animals in the Great Dismal Swamp

To: bigsid@webtv.net, bk185@lafn.org (marco), bjgayle@aol.com,
Subject: Arduns and Animals in the Great Dismal Swamp
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:51:02 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks, just wanted to tell you that the official second 290 Ardun
driveway test was successful.

But first, since animal stories have been requested, might mention that
when I got everything out, all ready to go, about 9AM this morning,
ready to make some noise ya know, I noticed that my neighbor was out in
her yard with her new puppy, a black-and-tan standard shorthair
Dachshund about six months old.  We have fine neighbors here, love 'em
all, so natcherly, not wanting to scare her or the dog with Ardun
thunder, I gave her a shout, to wit:

"Hey Rita, just gettin' ready to fire up my racecar!  Gotta run it a few
minutes for a test!"

To which she responded graciously, "That's all right Honey, you go right
ahead, it won't bother me."  She has white hair like I do, and you know
I don't want to irritate anybody.  We all live on lots about 15K square
feet here in the Swamp.  Our own mutt is a miniature smooth-red
shorthair female Dachshund. 9 pounds of fightin' fury if she get ahold
of a squirrel.  If you know the breed you know they have hard heads.
They are hunters and their basic attitude is "either you dominate me or
I'm gonna dominate you".  And they never give up either.

Anyhow, went through the drill, and just like the first time, Boom!  the
faithful Ardun fired up and ran like a charm.  A coolant drip I had the
first time is now fixed, and all systems are go, so far.  After running
it about 20 minutes I cut the fuel off, and dumped the oil, and the
Ardun gods were smiling, no water in the oil, no oil in the water
(except the 5% soluble oil I put in there for additional corrosion
inhibitor).  My mentors tell me if your Ardun will fire and run normally
three times running, it's ready to go to a meet, and will probably run
okay when it gets there.  After the running, nothing was dripping or
sticking out where it didn't belong, and the new hydraulic clutch is
still (hot dog!) working just as planned.  Long may it continue!  I was
recently told that the official rule in the airlines on leaks is, "If it
ain't on the floor it ain't a leak."

It was notable that this time, unlike the first time, there was very
little iron dust in the oil, so I guess the rings and cylinder walls
have done about all the break-in they plan to.

If things keep going the right way I'm looking forward to hearing "The
Sound" from inside the car at the timing tower at Maxton on June 30.

Cheers Bill