Re: wide or close ratio?

To: "Bill & Dee Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: wide or close ratio?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:26:36 -0500
Bill here is my take on this whole question....

With smaller motors it's supposed to be relatively easy to knock the wind
outta one with to large an RPM Drop between gears.... and the Closer the
ratio's are the smaller the RPM change.... Hence the Better the chance of
keeping the Motor in the Power Band....

Okay that having been said.... I want to go Back to something Tom Bryant
said two years ago..... which was with his D Motors he had never really had
this Problem.... so he uses a direct coupled auto trans with no Torque
converter..... Tom has been running these small motors since before I was a
gleam in my daddy's eye..... I didn't discount his thoughts..... I just had
some of my own....

I don't know how the New D Motor ( the Rodeck ) is going to act.... but I am
going to Paul Vanderley's in the morning to dyno it..... one of my decisions
when I come home is IF we should continue trying to develope the six speed
for this year ( I am almost positive that I am going to... BUT if I don't
think I need it trust me it won't be in the car at Bville )

The Wide Ratio Trans that we ran in the Camaro for the last three years has
been Very reliable.... it's not the best answer as far as RPM drop is
concerned BUT.... it works like stink... and reliablity has to be a Point in
this equation.

So.... Like the Muncie or the T-10.... it's really about what is avalible to
you.... and what you want to do.... My new six speed is a Richmond Gear unit
that was conceived at Doug Nash..... it's a 1:1 5th gear with a .91 OD in
sixth which we may or may not use depending on the record we are going after
at the time..... It's all about Options to me.... but I think this new trans
takes more HP then the 4 speed.... So as with all things it comes at a
cost....