Placement of ballast

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Placement of ballast
From: "Bill & Dee Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:38:19 -0400
Ok now that I have maybe stirred up (hopefully) a discussion on lack of
traction, transmission ratios, and suspension. Let me touch on something
else. Been thinking of placement of ballast. I recently ran across some
interesting information regarding weight placement. The information compared
a long barbell ( no not the one for last call) and a heavy ball and the
ability to make each one turn. If you took a long bar supported it in the
center where it could turn and placed equal amounts of weight on each side
close to center you would find that it would be easy to spin. But as you
moved the weights out closer to the ends the bar gets harder to spin.
Granted once it gets spinning it spins longer. So with that thought given
would it not be better to place ballast at farthest ends of a vehicle rather
than right over or near the axle to also aid in stability. But if the
vehicle ever started to spin it might be harder to recover. Understood that
you would want it placed as low as possible.

Bill