Glasses/vision

To: "LSR list \(E-mail\)" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Glasses/vision
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:59:18 -0400
A coupla minutes ago I sent a response to the "You might be a racer...."
That's a silly little thing, but it brings up a good point.

My eyes aren't perfect anymore, dammit.  I wear glasses to improve my
far-sight, and old(er) age  has shown me that I need reading glasses, too,
so I have reading glasses, and bi-focals for my sunglasses.  Those aren't
the ticket, though, since the polarized lenses do realllll goofy things with
the plastic of the helmet windscreen and give me a resulting rainbow-colored
world through that plastic.

SO:  The other day, when I had the chance to be going south on County Road
550 at about Warp 4 (don't ask, you'd scold me for going that speed on
public roads), I (once again) realized that my glasses did this:  I could
see just dandy down the road, but when I moved to looking at the gauges it
took a considerable time to re-focus everything.  I could spend a few
seconds looking at the meters, and that told me how the bike was running,
but then I had to wait until my eyes went back to long, to see what was
coming up.

How have (any of) you worked with your eye doctor to get vision for both the
long and short?  The local doc wants to give me glasses for reading at arm's
length for people with short arms, and can't quite figger out what to do
with someone with a specific need - like me.

200+++ feet per second wants me to look into this before too much longer.

Jon in Michigan's Upper Peninsula