Re: Arduns What Else-Truck Eng.

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Arduns What Else-Truck Eng.
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:04:48 -0600 (MDT)
The Ford  heavier trucks with V-8 day were terriable
about cracking blocks under sever load conditions on
long hills. It was my understanding that this truck
application was where he hoped his big market would be.
WmTS

Quoting ardunbill@webtv.net:

> Hi Folks, wanted to report that today I finally got
my hands on an
> elusive piece of Ardunology that I've been tracking
for a long time
> without success.
>
> It was finally placed in my hands for 15 cents at the
Microform Dept. of
> the Perry Library at Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.  They being
> the custodian of a set of archives of the New York
Times.

> The item in question is an article that appeared in
the Times on August.
> 18, 1947, p. 25, col. 2, under the headline "New
Truck Engine Nears
> Production".  And it is, of course, a publicity
release about the Ardun
> heads which Ardun Mechanical Corp., Z. Arkus-Duntov,
President, had
> probably just provided to the newspaper, which had
printed it.  One
> column, about ten inches long.
>
> So now we see where the legend started that the Ardun
was supposed to be
> for truck engines.  In fact, the company literature
immediately stated,
> "automotive-industrial-marine", and even offered
complete racing engines
> with Ardun heads.  I doubt that many ever did truck
service, many kits
> did probably originally go into cars as a hot rod
street engine, but
> before very long, I believe most of them wound up in
serious racing at
> the Flats, the Dry Lakes, or on drag strips.  Mike
Hart of CT did
> recently tell me that there is a sizeable old truck
in his region,
> non-running, with an original Ardun engine in it.
Local rodders had not
> been able to buy it from the owner.  So there's one.
>
> The article states that "five experimental engines"
were "built for
> research activities", and the product was "now
perfected after two years
> of intensive engineering and tests".
>
> One more little gem for your Ardunology file.
>    Cheers from Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal Swamp,
Chesapeake, VA

majordomo@autox.team.net