Goodyear tires and car weight

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Goodyear tires and car weight
From: SaltyCuda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:28:34 EDT
The best tire expert I've run across as far as Bonneville is concerned, is
Nate Jones in Long Beach, CA, Nate Jones Firestone.

As far as tread, don't go too crazy, you can get into a "chunking" problem.
Keep a close eye on the edges of the rubber at the grooves, if you see chunks
of rubber missing after making a run, shave some off, so the depth of the
groove is less.

I run rear tires at El Mirage with tread, and no tread at Bonneville.

As far as weight, Kugal's Firebird is very heavy, I've heard #'s like 5000 to
6000 lbs.  Weight is a penalty, no doubt about it.  But Firebirds have been
known to fly at speeds approaching 300, and he didn't want to go there!
Can't knock success.

Jim #82 (now retired, the car that is)