Re: check lists

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: check lists
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
Keith, I think I'd try and get a little more
specific and detailed on the car check itself.  I
list out exactly which bolts to look at, level of
fuel, pressure in tires, all fasteners on hood
and wheel covers, checking the throttle linkage
and spring return, and stuff like that.

I also have a pre-departure preparation list
which starts just after my last race.  If I have
to make more mods to the car and do stuff to get
it ready for the next race, I list it all, then
put it on a calendar and create a time-line.  I
know when I plan on having new tires, when I'm
going to check the timing, when I'm putting on
the new nitrous system, etc.   That way, if
family stuff, holidays and work delay my racing
plans, I move things up on the timeline, but they
are still staring me in the face every day when I
get to work. Usually, things that I have
scheduled over a several month period always get
crammed into the last couple of weeks, but they
are still written down so that I don't overlook
anything I was planning on doing to the car.

Also, did you forget to put the car and fire
suit, helmet etc, in trailer when packing, or did
I just overlook it on the list.  Back when I was
doing motorcycles, guys arriving without leathers
or helmet, racing license, or safety log was a
common occurrance, but it's the honest truth, one
year a guy arrived at Daytona and when he opened
his trailer he found his street bike, his pit
bike, his BBQ cooker, and all his other stuff,
except that he had actually forgotten to load his
race bike!!  GOSPEL TRUTH!

Thanks for printing your lists though, I am going
to save them and integrate them with mine to see
what I might add.  One thing about a checklist,
it can't be to complete. You can always ignore an
item if you want to when your going through the
list, but it's a little hard to remember
something that might not be on the list.

Dick J
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/