Re: sealer

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sealer
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:03:59 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/2001 3:48:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
saltracer@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi everyone,
> We're having some problems with water leaks around what would be the water
> pump mounts on our flathead motor. We have our front motor mounts there now
> and they are leaking behind them. We first used Super Blue silicone and at
> only 4 lbs we sprung a leak. We made gaskets and used Peratex number 1
> hardening sealer and it leaked worse. What do you guys use for gasket
> sealer? Do you use gaskets behind the water pump or just silicone? Thanks

Phil & Gary,
       How much pressure are you trying to run? I take it you have a radiator
instead of a coolant tank. If you use a coolant tank you won't be able to run
much pressure unless your tank is a lot stronger than most.
       Make sure the block surfaces and matching motor plates are clean and
straight. I wouldn't use more than a 1/32" thick gasket, preferably a 1/64".
Being basically lazy I usually just run black or red ATV gasket sealer with
no gasket.
       If you have a 49-53 block I'd suggest utilizing the former bypass hole
at the top of the blocks water pump mating surfaces as a bolt hole. Tap it
out to the closest pipe size (1/4" NPT I believe), take a hex pipe plug,
drill it out and tap it to 3/8" (same as the rest of the water pump attach
bolts), apply permanent Loc-Tite, screw it into the former bypass hole, thus
adding a critical attach point.
       The Ford water pumps are cast and much more rigid than the 1/4"
aluminum motor plate which may distort when tightened.
       The front motor plates can be a source of leaks until you get the
surfaces flat, clean, and well secured.....................Ardun Doug King