Re: The Yellow Rose

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Yellow Rose
From: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:08:49 -0500
Hi Dick,
We have configured the "Rose" as a lakester this year with Bill Smith's
(WmTS) 509 BBC in the back. It ran 660 ft lbs on the dyno with the peak at
5200 through 6100 and torque tail-off to 600 at 7300. All this at a density
altitude of 5900 ft. 7200 in overdrive is 321 on the chart so there is
enough gear for anything it can do. Only problem is it should take about
1200 ft lbs to get there. In direct (2.50:1 and a 30" tire) it should go
260.....hence, my prediction below: (Nothing like sticking my neck out!)
At Speedweek I expect the car to run about 260 on gas. AT WOS with a 15
degree temp drop I expect 270 to 275. We will do some "coast down" tests to
determine the total drag coefficient and then calculate "what-if's" for
fuel at WOS.
Just finished the pre-assembly of the air conditioning cart to be used at
the start line to help the driver (Bill) keep his cool. Bill and Russ Mack
(new crew member and quality/test engineer) will complete the cart this
weekend and test it.
The cart will be at the start line and available for those who want to use
it. Please don't let it run out of gas when we are coming to the line!

Added a new set of jacks for the trailer and we are borrowing a new truck
for the trip.

On the kin folks, none in Texas that I know of but.......nobody could make
up a name like Higginbotham.....so they must be related somewhere along the
line.

That's about it, hope to see you there.
Skip