20 sleeps to go !

To: "Majordomo" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 20 sleeps to go !
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:38:19 +1200
Hi List,

Whew ! ............ been out of the loop lately getting the roadster finished
plus the usual mine-field of red tape associated with shipping to your side of
the pond.

Was told early on I would need EPA approval to import, after many e-mails
requesting forms & info and subsequent apologies and department musical chairs
was finally informed 2 months later a race only 32 Ford was "EXEMPT" and
nothing required.

Also lost a month getting the correct camshaft and components. Despite a 2
page description of engine and application, was sent a Pro/Stock truck cam
with a set of springs suitable for 8 Brigs & Stratton engines. Not amusing
when our poor $ exchange rate turns $400 springs into $1000, plus air freight
and import duty, (wife is mixing swimming pool brochures amongst my rod
magazines).

Bottom line : Bonneville's attraction beats all. !  Shipped car last Wednesday
out of the port of Tauranga, arrives LA on 3rd Aug. We arrive on the 2nd and
shoot up to Sanoma for the NHRA digs that weekend before returning to LA to
get the car and a bunch of oil, plugs, filters and the million other
necessities, then head up to Wendover. Hope to be there by Thurs night. I have
family and a crew of 2 plus another 14 people on tour with us travelling in 6
rented motorhomes as in past years.

Particularly looking forward to meeting list members and Tues night at the
bend in the road. I'm easy to spot in my purple wheelchair (gotta be a trend
here Keith) make your-self known.

THE SALT WILL BE GREAT IN THE MONTH OF 8.

Regards,
Chris Harris.  #397  C/GR ...............New Zealand.