RE: first drive

To: "'Daniel Wright'" <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>,
Subject: RE: first drive
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:26:01 -0700
Oh, Dan, you had me laughing out loud with tears in my eyes!  A couple of
guys here in the office wanted to know what was so damn funny.  So I
forwarded that and we all shared a good laugh. THANK YOU.

Dale C.

Subject: first drive

Hi
I wanted to add my two cents worth to the growing list of stories about
first time driving experiences.
The first time I ever drove was in a '38 Chevy coupe that my dad had.  It
was a really cool car that Dad had fixed up real sharp and painted Bamboo
Yellow.  This must have been about 1962 or so and I must have been about 10
or 11 years old.  I was kind of a small kid, and the Chevy seat only moved
so far forward, but if I sat up on the edge of the seat and held the
steering wheel with a death grip, I could just push in the clutch and press
the gas pedal, and nearly see where I was headed.  Good enough, lets
drive!  So with far more enthusiasm than skill, I let out the clutch, and
of course stalled it.  I must have stalled it at least a dozen times before
I got up the nerve to REALLY give it some gas as I let out the
clutch.  Well, the predictable result was that the torquey six threw me
back against the seat, which pulled my foot off the gas pedal.  The springy
seat back, death grip on the steering wheel, and instant deceleration from
snapping the throttle closed, combined to throw all 70 pounds of me and my
reaching, straining throttle toe forward.  As I came bouncing forward, that
reaching, straining toe contacted the throttle pedal, and stabbed it
completely to the floor.  Did I mention that the old six was
torquey??  Punching that throttle would snap me back into the seat hard,
and the sequence would repeat.  and repeat.  and repeat.  So there we went,
jerking and hopping down the quiet small town Iowa street.  Completely out
of control, but not a thought of giving up.  No bucking bronco rider had
ever held on tighter.  This went on for a few hundred feet till my Dad
finally reached over and shut off the ignition key.  What a relief!  This
broke the cycle, and gave me a chance to get a grip and a fresh start.  Dad
must have had a great supply of patience.  I am not sure how many driving
lessons or how much growin it took to for me to finally get control of a
car, but I still remember THAT ride nearly 40 years ago.

Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..