Re: Tire Balancing Info

To: Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>
Subject: Re: Tire Balancing Info
From: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:54:50 -0700
        Ken, I use the new Hunter GSP9700 down at the Chevy dealership I work
for. The reason for the road force info is the new trucks with rack and
pinion steering have a lot of feedback to the driver. The oversized
tires that guys run make the problem worse. Just like you hear the
NASCAR racers talk about changing the air pressure one pound to change
the handling. The soft sidewalls of radial tires work like a spring.
         I have balanced my own tires for years on a bubble balancer. This year
I took them down and checked them on the Hunter. They were spot on with
only 6 and 8 pounds of load variation. Anything under 25# is good.
         Goodyear and Firestone used bubble balancers for years at Daytona and
never had problems. It was SOP not to use more than 1 1/2 ounces of
weight on a wheel. If the weight came off, it would not be undrivable
with that small of a off balance. I remember the tire guys cussing a
bunch of times when they had to keep dismounting a tire to move the
inner liner to get the balance close enough to use only a small weight.
You have remember I started racing on Goodyear Blue Streak Stock Car
Special treaded tires, like 1964.
                        Doug Odom in big ditch feeling old