Info

To: <mpittwood@compuserve.com>
Subject: Info
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 04:51:06 -0700
Can anyone provide information on the US built "Kenwood Cleanliner"
electric streamliner.  Visited the salt sometime about 1992 or 1993.  I am
told the full value of the project was $80m and that it stuttered 10 yards
when it tried to move and went no further.  What are the facts?

Malcom,

I was present when the Kenwood car was attempting to run. The car tried two or
three times to make a pass but, unfortunately did go only a few yards before
halting. The motor was from a Japanese bullitt train, rumored to be capable of
a couple of hundred mph. One of the funny things about this project was that a
gentleman
took off for the far end (7-9 miles) with a fork lift full of 12 volt
batteries, it looked like 30 -40. Well it would take him up to 1 hour to go
down there in order to meet the car. After the no start he would jump on the
fork lift and come all the way back, a long and boring trip.

We all ended up with as many batteries as we wanted to take home. Glenn can
tell us how many years we ran the clocks with their donation.

Now, I need some info from you. I thought you may know the answer to this
question as well as anybody. Do you know the FIA records for a vehicle in the
4 & 5 liter class, a streamliner, blown, using alcohol for fuel? I was told
that this is not available on the FIA website.

Thanks,

Dan Warner