Some more of my electrical ramblings

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some more of my electrical ramblings
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:30:44 -0400
Awhile back I sent some of my electrical ideas to the list. Well a few more
have come to mind since then so I thought I would update it.

1. These are modern times don't use incandescent bulbs for a warning or
indicator lights. The vibration will kill them. The small filament tends to
break easy. How many times have you been in a tight jam with a drop light
and bumped it and the light quit working and what no more spare bulbs? Tell
me you didn't swap it with one in a house lamp! Shame  They now make direct
replacement LED ( Light Emitting Diode) lamps. Just as easy as changing a
light bulb you can update yours. And yes why not use a fluorescent
replacement for that drop light.

2. Never use a metal clamp or strap to fasten your wiring harness. It will
eventually cut the insulation. Use of a rubber coated Adel clamp works
great. I would inspect at least once a year still though. I like using tie
wrap mounting blocks. These can be found with mounting holes or with a stud
mount. Don't use the sticky back type as they tend to vibrate lose once the
adhesive dies. Word of caution about tie wraps don't over do it on the
tension. Too much tension over a period of time tends to break the wire
strands inside the insulation. You will be pulling your hair out trying to
figure out what happened. You need just enough tension to keep the harness
secure.

3. Someone ask me how to make up battery cable ends by soldering them rather
than crimping them. They kept melting the cable insulation. Simple solution
take a wet rag and wrap it around the insulation. This is one place I prefer
soldering over crimping for the average person. The average person doesn't
have acess to the proper tooling to do a good crimp this size. Use a propane
torch and large diameter "Rosin core" solder. Do not use "Acid Core" solder
or you will never stop the corrosion. You will want to tin both the
connector and the wire. Not a lot as you want to be able to still slide the
wire into the connector. If you have ever sweated copper pipe fittings the
next step is easy. Point the connector with the cable end up. Gently heat
the connector and apply solder along the edge between the connector and
wire. As you remove the heat the solder will be suck into the connector. You
may have to do this a couple of times to get a good tight connection. Once
you finished soldering take and wash connector with cool water to wash off
excess rosin. If you  like you may use a piece of heat shrink tubing over
the joint and you'll have a professional looking set of cables. Hey you can
even color code them if you want.

Well I have rambled enough in my idle time.
Till I get bored again.

Bill