Re: turbine/Subject matter

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: turbine/Subject matter
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 04:58:31 -0600 (MDT)
Rick,
I think that most of us on this list are extremely
courious about nearly all things that are capable of
moving themselves at a speed above a walk---that means
that it is capable of being raced againts something,
some how, some way, some time. wmts

Quoting Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>:

> Rick the Turbine thing interests you.... a comment
about it is Totally in
> keeping with the tradition of " if it interests you
and your interested in
> LSR then bring it up"
>
> Your our Expert on sealing an Engine... and you bring
a tremendous amount
> of
> knowledge to the table in many different facets of
our sport.... Hey if you
> get off on a tangent about Turbines .... that some of
us don't have an
> interest in .... WE HAVE A DELETE key....
>
> Shoot I even enjoyed that deal on the blade tips
being an issue...

<Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>; "wspotter"
speed@autox.team.net>; "David Freiburger"
> <FreiburD@emapUSA.com>
> Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 8:56 PM
> Subject: Re: Vesco turbine
>

> > For all you guys that don't want to hear more about
gas turbines hit the
> "D"
> > key now.
> > Since Dale aked.
> > The answer to your question is almost the same as a
recip engine.
> > The Ford gas turbine had variable geometry power
turbine nozzles, that
> could
> > actually change the direction of air flow thru the
power turbine to
> provide
> > braking action. Called simply "retard"  Gassifier
speed was held to I
> think
> > 64%.  Idle speed was 52% and design gassifier was
37500 RPM.  We had a
> 10:1
> > or so internal gear reduction on the power turbine
shaft so 3600 RPM was
> > design output shaft speed.   The nozzles worked but
not nearly as good
> > braking as a NTC 335 with a jake brake.  Or
anything with a jake for that
> > matter.  It helped a little running down hill, but
we did have less brake
> > life than conventional rigs.  One interesting
design feature was quite
> > revolutionary for its time was an investment cast
compressor turbine
> wheel
> > made from a propriority ford alloy that was similar
to Hast X.  This was
> the
> > feature that was to make production costs more
feasable, but provided
> many
> > problems with tip clearance to the shroud/nozzle.
This engine was
> designed
> > to run at 1900 degrees F turbine inlet temperature,
which was very hot
> for
> > its time of 1969 - 73.   (gee I run my turbos
almost that hot these days)
> > The programs demise can be attributed to tip
clearance issues, and
> ceramic
> > regenerator core failures that were eventually
traced back to a process
> > change the supplier implemented without telling
Ford.  (sound famaliar?)
> > have always wanted to do a turbine vehicle, but
never had the guts to do
> it.
> > Besides the altitude density thing gets to the
rotor motor too.  In
> Denver
> > on a 100 degree day, we were down 25% in power.  No
charge air cooling
> for
> > these babys.
> > OK guys anything further I'll take off line.
Unless I hear differently.

> > BTW the ceramic regenerator core material and
manufacturing process
> > eventually became a catalyst core producer.  We
believe it is the came
> > honeycomb shape.  Our core was 3" thick and 36" in
diameter with a solid
> > ceramic hub and an iron ring gear bonded on the
outside diameter for
> driving
> > at 15 rpm.  Hard to imagine without a model or
photos of the engine.  If
> > anyone is interested I have photos.
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > [demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type
image/jpeg which had a name

majordomo@autox.team.net