B'Ville Repair

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: B'Ville Repair
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 14:16:32 -0700
As most of the list knows, I had the fan go through the radiator of my
Vette at Speedweek. Finally decided I should fix it so I got busy
yesterday. Before I tell my story, I should point out that another '85
Vette lost his fan too at 191 mph, and wiped out his radiator as well.
After pulling the plastic shroud off, the problem became obvious - the
radiator went INTO the fan instead of fan into the radiator. The
radiator on a C4 Corvette is held in place by a plastic enclosure. The
mounting points are all J-nuts through plastic tabs. The electric fan
bolts (through plastic mounting holes) to the shroud. Apparently the
force of the air pushed the radiator back, which broke the plastic top
mounting points, and the plastic fan mount, allowing the radiator to
contact the fan. SO, there are several Corvettes on the list that may
want to reinforce this area. I made some metal pieces the same shape as
the mounting tabs and fiberglassed them over & under the stock mounting
points. The fan has been retired forever. Hopefully that issue is
solved.
Ed