Pressure testing

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pressure testing
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:32:42 -0500
    Been kicking back in the shop the last week whittling on the Cast Iron D
motor.... it had a crack about 1" long in the #4 cylinder....  this of
course allowed a unplanned water injection program when it got hot.

    I had the block sleeved and the sleeve didn't seal as well as it should
have ...  so the question was do I replace the sleeve or simply add some
block sealer to fix the slight seep.

    Time not being critical I decided to play around with some stuff here in
the shop and see if I could test the block without assembling the motor.   I
built a cap for the cylinder head surface which allows me to seal the top of
the block ( looks like a torque plate allowing me to see inside the bores
while I'm testing ) and a little cap for the front in the water pump area...
then I bought about 30 bucks worth of fitting's and  an air regulator... So
now I can add water to the block and then put it under around 35psi and
whalla.... instant pressure tester...

Yep it's got a real slight seep right at the bottom of the bore where the
sleeve was stepped.  Hmmm so the next project was to build a way of
circulating a radiator type Block sealer while the motor was still apart...
oh and that really does need to be Hot to work well.....   I had this Nascar
style Oil warmer used to circulate Warm oil to a rear end... I bought it
from Grib for next to nothing some time ago....  A few fitting's and some
tubing and again I was in business....  Basically this thing is just a
couple of Tank heaters with a Holley Blue pump attached to a little 1 gallon
holding tank.....   it turned out to look like a High School science
project.... lots of fun.... and after running for about 30 minutes I had the
block up to around 200 degrees running my solution of Block sealer and water
through 1/4" clear hoses.   Very cool deal really....  Went back and
pressure tested it again.... and NO leak what so ever.... Perfect seal...
Hmmm

All that having been said.... the fella didn't charge me for the sleeve
because it leaked.... he did offer to try again with another sleeve.... I
just really didn't like the idea ... Just wasn't sure how many times you can
take one of these out and put one back and still have a sound block.....
Right now I am sure I have a quality sleeve that doesn't leak.....  any
thoughts out there?