SPEED MATRIX

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>, autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: SPEED MATRIX
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
Maybe everybody already does this, but if not, it
is a little trick you might want to use.  I have
a plastic covered chart that I carry on the front
seat of the Camaro when I race. It has my tire
size options,(one side for my short tires, and
the other side for my tall tires) and then a
breakdown of speed determined by RPM in 500 RPM
and 100 RPM increments grouped around my pre-set
red line.  There are about ten speeds listed per
side in order to allow quick reference.  I have
it printed in GIANT font so that I can read it at
a quick glance.  Needless to say, I know my RPM
through the clocks (pretty close, anyway).  As
soon as I get to the turnoff, I check the chart
real quick to see approximately how fast I went.
After about fifteen runs, I have added a constant
into the standard formula.  I have determined
that multiplying the ideal final speed by .957
will allow for both tire stretch and the slippage
in my TurboHydro 400 transmission and will give a
more accurate result for my car. That formula
modification is for Maxton only.  I will have to
use a different constant for Bonneville, but
should be able to figure out what it is after one
or two runs.

This chart is just to satisfy my curiosity, and
to keep me from going crazy while waiting for my
push truck and crew to get to me to let me know
what I actually ran.  As you all know, waiting on
them can be the longest five minutes in the
world.

Dick J
In East Texas
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1