Re: gasoline procedures

To: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: gasoline procedures
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:37:06 -0700
Dave & list,

At the dry lakes Les Leggitt brings a gas trailer similar to the one you see
at Bonneville with a selection of ERC products. At the beginning of the meet
I take a sample of the 110 octane to use as a baseline gas. The entrants are
not required to use the ERC gas but, because it is available on the lakebed
this is what we use.

When a gas class vehicle comes to impound a sample is taken from the tank
and tested against the baseline with the dielectric tester. If the tank
sample exceeds +/- 5 on the dial of the tester the gas is not approved. I
have never seen a legal gas test at +/- 6 or so, the additives in the gas
that allow a better burn rate will peg the meter to either the + or - side.

Now the question is - why are there no other vendors available? I believe it
is a matter of business. There is absolutly no money to be made at the
lakebed. ERC supplies the gas as a service, incurring monetary losses at
each event. Other vendors who have come to the lakebed to supply the racers
have found that there is no profit to be made. The expenses involved far
exceed potential income. Vendors such as VP have tried to come on board at
the lakebed with an eye on becoming the vendor at Bonneville but have faded
almost as quick as they arrive.

Rick Gold and his staff at ERC have stood by the SCTA-BNI for several years
and we find this to be a good relationship for both the association and the
racer.

DW