Re: Bonneville / heaters

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Bonneville / heaters
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:55:32 -0400
Jonathan Amo wrote:

> List,
>
> Wanted to let everybody know that the Bonneville Records of
> http://www.landracing.com are up to date including the World of Speed
> event. Those of you on the list with records please check yours and make
> sure everything is in order.
> Also Ive been watching the Hourly weather conditions for the last week
> there has been no precip for quite a long time at the Airport. The days
> seems to get a bit of breeze some as much as 30 mph gusts of wind. Daily
> temps in the 50's low 60's. Its going to be very cold during the event
> make sure you bring enough clothing to keep warm.
> Then early morning return runs will be a task. Trying to start those
> race engines in 30-40 degree temps must be a tough task for some of you.
> Now that curiosity has set in what do most of you do in situations like
> this? Does anybody run some type of block heater per say, oil heaters?
> Joe and I have never really been in this position luckily Joe has been
> thinking about this and he is addressing these issues as we speak as
> best as we can. Any info from anybody else?
>
> Jonathan Amo
> www.landracing.com

Jon,
>From the frozen (not quite yet) north; one of the simplest add-on heaters is
>the

in-line coolant heater.  Of course it is simplest where the car still has a
heater ;-) but it is cheap and warms the whole block at once.  In the real cold
(-40) normal block heaters can end up heating a small area, losing the heat
before the other parts of the engine are warmed

Other options are the old trouble lamp under the motor with some cover over the
whole thing.  No idea how many degrees but it does make a difference.  Another
thing would be your battery charger; they put off some good heat.  Even just
draping the engine with something like a moving blanket can hold in enough heat
(also keeping the cold wind from blowing) to not have the block chilled by
morning.
There are flat heaters meant as battery heaters (also a good idea, but in this
case I think you are trying to be kind to the motor, not start it in the snow)
that can be placed under an oil pan.
Remember though that some heaters are only meant to work around/below freezing
so

they might come to grief if used at 50-60 deg. etc.
I have heard of dipstick heaters but I wouldn't hold to much hope.

There is the green method; drive it up on the manure pile.  It'll go like stink
in the morning.
Cheers,
Rick