RE: Fire Light

To: "'Higginbotham Land Speed Racing'" <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: RE: Fire Light
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:14:37 -0600
Skip;

I think the key to getting reliability in a solenoid valve is the selection
of the seals it uses internally. Any seal material "wetted" by Halon should
be compatible (obviously) but finding out what seal material a manufacturer
uses isn't always easy. Parker publishes a good seal compatibility chart and
it's on the Internet at:
http://www.chomerics.com/products/documents/Fluid_compatibility_guide.pdf
<http://www.chomerics.com/products/documents/Fluid_compatibility_guide.pdf>
.

It looks as if the best seal material might be Viton but there are LOTS of
different Freon compounds, and some of them have other material
recommendations. Surprisingly, Teflon is not suitable for Freon compounds. I
suspect a valve made for chemical service would have its wetted components
specified. The valve also needs to have an appropriate pressure rating, of
course.

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ