Re: News on Our Car Magazine Industry : Strictly for the BUCKS

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: News on Our Car Magazine Industry : Strictly for the BUCKS
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:59:36 -0800
On car magazines ...

At SEMA each year there have been stacks of car magazines for the taking as
well as lavish displays for each of the larger publishing groups.  The
magazines were there this year but not the variety and AutoWeek was the
purest enthusiast magazine on the display.  The rest were more slanted at
the "trade" types.

This year, the Petersen spot was in an even better, more exposed space, than
in previous years and there was the usual group of hangers on as well as
"conferences" in the upper room of the display.  The magazine group pushing
the internet name gr8ride that used to be the Street Rodder plus other
special groups publications ... Randy Fish worked for them ... had a large
display last year but cut back considerably this year.

We commented that the shift was really visible and the magazines were
obviously narrowing the market focus.  Keith is right, it isn't the cash cow
it used to be.  I find Hot Rod in the barber shop, at my neighbor's body
shop, at the foreign car repair shop and similar places.  These are FREE
issues, they ARRIVE MONTHLY, they have NOT been requested at these diverse
locations.  That's the places I personally know about.  How many others are
there?  What does that chumming cost the publisher?  You can subscribe to
Hot Rod for $12 a year.  Look at the drop in advertising in the magazine.
Those ads are being both cut back in size and/or placed in other
publications  I'm afraid they have serious problems that won't be cured
quickly by suddenly returning to the roots they left many years ago.

I agree with Dale on a special spot in Hell being reserved for opportunists
in the health care arena ... may we add those who publish things to
tantalize us in our youth and then stop talking about them in our adult
years?

Wes