#896 F/MS RX7 in Grassroots Motorsports magazine

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: #896 F/MS RX7 in Grassroots Motorsports magazine
From: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:54:56 -0500
List,

   I was just going over the December 2001 issue of Grassroots Motorsports
magazine and noticed a picture on page 16 of a red RX7 on the salt.  What
caught my eye after reading the text was the cars class, F/MS.  I did a little
research into the SCCA Pro7 class, where the car had been running and found
that it's for '81-'85 Mazda RX7's with basically stock 1146cc 12A rotary
engines in a basically stock chassis.

   The article quotes Mike McCarthy of Surf City Racing;  "We converted the
road race car to BNI-SCTA specs by adding a header, lexan windows, 15-inch
wheels and cool Moon discs."

   That leaves me wondering if the owners simply chose the wrong engine class,
(1146 x 3 = E/ engine class) and a car class that the stock body doesn't seem
to meet, or if maybe there have been some rules changes that I missed?

Chuck Rothfuss
Back from the dead (e-mail) in Pole Cat Hollow, NC