Rookie Ruminations

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rookie Ruminations
From: "brett" <brett@landspeedracer.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:18:46 GMT
 From Brett Ritter, Car #171 The PRO-FLO Special, C/GL:

I am finally able to sit down and thank everyone who helped me go from being
a rookie to getting my B License at El Mirage this Weekend.
First a recap of the meet:
1st Run 143.328 mph.  The run went fine but being a Rookie I didnt pull
off quite close enough to the cones of the return lane. (Minor Issue)
2nd Run 163.205 mph.  No problems, the car ran straight & true.
3rd Run 179.095 mph.  I short shifted between 1st & 2nd but the car still
pulled through it well enough to get me up to licensing speed. (Not bad for
an engine straight out of a Street Rod with a 600cfm carb with vacuum
secondaries.)
4th Run 169.527 mph. - I went out one last time to see if we could pop the
180 mark but it was not to be, the valve train was too far out of adjustment
and the engine nosed over on the top end.

I would like to thank Mike Cook & Billy Hodges of Cooks Motorsports
(Panteras by Cook) for building a rock solid car. I have raced motorcycles
for years (Motocross from 1973 - 1979 & Bonneville since 1980) but this was
my first time in a car and at El Mirage and the handling was as good at 179
as at 140. I have absolutely no issues with taking it faster. Also I would
like to thank Rick Carpenter for lending his services driving the push
truck.

Finally, I want to thank my dad who has always supported my racing
(literally) and for helping with every end of building our car (with me
being in Florida, he had to handle everything) besides helping with
finances. He also donated the engine from his 1953 F100 Pick up for the Mule
engine, for us to get out licenses. Then he turns around and gives me the
truck! (He also built my 460 Ford that Im going to drop in place of the
358cu in Chevy engine we pulled for the Lakester).

Everyone at the track was great, the starters and other officials were very
helpful and it was great to meet the some of the other racers.

All in all I had one of the best weekends of my life. (Just dont tell my
wife) :)
See everyone next season!
Brett Ritter  http://www.landspeedracer.com