Flathead/Ardun Cam Drive Gears

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, clemtebow@jps.net
Subject: Flathead/Ardun Cam Drive Gears
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:41:44 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, a little earlier today I was yarnin' about Flathead and Ardun
cams and drive gears, and for a prank, I said the drive gears were
bevel.  Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention, but my
Flathead/Ardun pals must've been taking their naps, 'cause nobody jumped
on it yet.

The said gears are, of course, helical, and that gives them a small
end-thrust which prevents cam walk.  Bevel gears are those in general
designed to transmit power at or close to a 90 degree angle.

Now it is a mystery to me why Ford had the helical gears thrust to the
rear on the '32 to '48 Flathead, then in '49 (through '53) changed the
gears to the opposite helix, so now they thrust forward, and the gear on
the cam nose that drives the dist. bears against the inside of the
timing cover on a face provided.

Anybody out there know why Ford made this change to the helical gears
and their direction of thrust in '49?  Was it something to do with the
new distributor drive's needs?  Cheers Bill