Re: AAL Airbus

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AAL Airbus
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:03:24 EST
In a message dated 11/26/2001 9:42:12 AM Pacific Standard Time, Nt788@aol.com
writes:

> >    BTW, you'll be hearing a lot about an encounter with wake
> turbulence.>
> >    That is a red herring.  Wake turbulence can make it difficult --
> maybe>even impossible to control the airplane -- but no amount of wake
> turbulence>can remove the vertical tail at such low flight speeds unless
> there is a>preexisting>

       This may not be the appropriate place to respond, but I appreciate
Jack posting the opinion regards the AAL Airbus crash. Since most of us are
in a position where we occasionally have to depend on transport aircraft, and
given the uncertainty and anxeity generated by the AAL Airbus accident, I
feel that passing on and commenting on this information is appropriate.
       In my 24 years of flying heavy jets (anything with a gross takeoff
weight of 300,000LBS or more. I was involved with the 300 series 707 and the
Lockheed L-1011) I never encountered wake turbulence that would dismember a
similarly sized aircraft. If I were flying a heavy that encountered wake
turbulence from another heavy the jostling could be uncomfortable, annoying,
and possibly cause me some moderate control difficulty, but not enough to
cause loss of control. If the wake turbulence were encountered near the
ground on final approach it might turn a good landing into a pretty good
"thump" or a go-around, but it's hard to imagine a 747-400 at perhaps
700,000LBS dismembering a 500,000LB Airbus.
       Just one guys opinion......................Ardun Doug King