Re: Tire reliabilty, traction ,weight sensors

To: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: Tire reliabilty, traction ,weight sensors
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:07:04 -0500
Hi All,
Not to dive into the TC thing but I have ridden some scary pickups down icy
hills
off-road and I'm not a fan of those anti-lock brakes.  I know you weren't
refering to
bikes, but at speed what about the throttle as part of the steering?  I wouldn't
want a
system in the middle of that.  My microprocessor has an ear on each side.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with data aquisition.  I think it would
make
sense to have maybe a bar gauge showing the amount of wheel-slip.  The driver
could
then decide on his comfort level.
(ok, I guess I did dive in)

The other data aquisition item I was wondering about though would be for the
downforce/lift at speed.
I'll be set up with 4 coil springs; has anyone mounted any weight sensors
(pressure
sensors?) to record the weight supported by each spring?  Would these be upset
by rough
surface?  Ideally they shouldn't but would the shocks mess things up?
I'm not talking second to second, but to know if the rear end gets light at
100...140...etc.
Hmmmm?
Cheers,
Rick