Re: Active Suspension Questions

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Active Suspension Questions
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:26:58 -0800
mayf what kind of force are we talking about?
What force, in pounds, would it take to move a mass of 300 pounds
.5 inch on 10 ms? Accelerate for .25" decelerate for .25".

Using current in a coil suspended between ceramic magnets, my hard drive
does it in 8 ms max. Of course the mass is only a few grams.
This is an example of very fast accurate positioning technology currently
available.

Of course you've already pointed out the scaling problem. I've seen
some impressive hydraulics at work, 200 lb. moved 10" in 80-90 ms
using 6,600 psi. (very dangerous stuff)

This thread is fun!
Bryan