Re: Rev Limiter in Vintage engine class

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Rev Limiter in Vintage engine class
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:05:15 -0500
Richard Fox wrote:

> My understanding is the same. No electronics on vintage ignitions with the
> exception of capacitate discharge units.   Rich Fox

Rich, Phil,
Would they allow a unit that would pick up terminal vibration in the motor and
generate a shock in the driver's butt, reminding him/her to reach for the credit
card....

Kidding, but I assume there wouldn't be any problem with an alarm light etc.,
though that might just be telling you when it is too late.

I don't really see a rev limiter as a 'performance enhancing item', but if it is
still agreed to not use 'traction control', I might see problems in say a unit
that retarded timing according to wheel slip data etc...
Basically, when the rev limiter hits, it should be to avoid damage/danger.

I believe Cart/Indy Car has no traction control, but they do use rev limiters to
cap speed in the pits.  I imagine their systems have a high setting for the
track
too.
Hmmm,
Rick