hello from Pork Pie

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: hello from Pork Pie
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:46:49 +0100
Hi Folks,

yeap, Don (Garlits) is a great guy - and if one deserve to be the No. 1 every
in
drag racing than it's Don.

I was often time by Don in Ocala, when I lived and worked in Vance
(Tuscaloosa),
AL.

There I saw also the Swamp Rat #33, very nice car.

Once I walked in Don's workshop. Don's eyes was only half open, so as someone
who got not enough sleep. His first words "I say nothing, not before I got a
cup
of coffee". So I walked over to the museum and picked a big mug for Don by Pad
(I think that's her name) and brought the mug to Don. 4 hours I left the
workshop with a lot of nice anecdots. In Ocala is also one of Mickey Thompsons
record cars.

To the frame work.

As someone wrotes, I also would prefer the round tubes, they are better against
the torque.
But if someone ask how they build the Birdcage - with this nightmare on
connecting "corners".

They done a simple trick.

They used a drill!!! yeap. But not a normal one. They used a wood drill.
I saw so drill's also in state. This drill got a small center drill. This drill
is fixed in a holder. Also fixed on this holder is big drill, this thing looks
like a cup. You simple drill the tube. By a 45 degree angle of the tube in the
frame, you drill directly on (90 degree) the tube). This trick works from 38/52
degree.
Is the tube in a smaller angle than 38 degree to the frame corner, you have to
drill at first a small hole - a little bit less than the center drill - into
the
tube.

The Thrust II - Richard Noble's car he used in 1983 for his 633 mph record, was
build with Reynolds tube - but this frame was designed by John Ackroyd in
simulate with a computer. Also to use Reynolds it needs a lot of experience.

TIG welding is only a little bit training. Important is that the gas pressure
and the wire speed is correct - but you can hear this. The other important
thing
you have to watch, is, that the wire material match to the tube material.

When you design the frame, check them to the Cremona Plan. This is a mathematik
rule system for frame work. By the way, this frame work which is shown in the
rule book from the BNI/SCTA - for the cockpit frame - it's wrong, because it's
not build to the Cremona.
Also you have to know, if you like to build a soft or a hard frame.
Soft and hard depends to the cross member and the way you weld them in, also
what connection/corner reinforments you use. A open knot (soft) or a close
(hard) one.
If you need a information about Cremona, let me know, than I can send a scaned
base information as a attachment direct to the e-mail address - I know now that
attachments didn't work over the list address.

All the best

Pork Pie